Fort Lauderdale families discover the many benefits of laser dentistry
Dr. Yolanda Cintron and her team at Go Natural Dentistry in Fort Lauderdale are known for providing high-quality care for patients of all ages. We embrace the latest technological innovations because we want to bring you the best oral care possible. The benefits of laser dentistry allows us to perform routine and complex treatments with less patient discomfort, faster recovery, and more preservation of the natural tooth structure.
One of the greatest benefits of laser technology is its versatility. Depending on the type of laser, power level, and specific wavelength, it may be gentle enough to rejuvenate soft tissue or powerful enough to replace a dental drill. We use several types of laser therapies, all of which have unique benefits.
Laser therapy for periodontal disease
Periodontal disease, an infection of the gums, is the leading cause of tooth loss. Even more concerning, it has been linked to many systemic health problems such as heart disease. Mild to moderate infection may clear up with deep cleaning and antibiotic medication. The conventional treatment for severe gum disease is a surgical procedure, which often involves heavy bleeding and a painful recovery period. Laser technology has given us a gentler and more efficient alternative.
The benefits of laser gum disease treatment include:
- No scalpel, no stitches
- Lasers kill bacteria and other harmful microorganisms on contact, sterilizing pockets around teeth
- The procedure can be completed comfortably, using only local anesthetic
- Laser energy stimulates cell regeneration, helping gums heal and encouraging reattachment to the tooth root surface
- Fast recovery with minimal discomfort or dietary restrictions
Enhanced teeth whitening
Tooth enamel is naturally uniform, and very light in color. However, time takes a toll. Food, drinks, tobacco, and other substances can stain enamel. Much like once-white linens, teeth begin to acquire dark areas and an overall dingy appearance. Good hygiene practices will slow the process, and mild whiteners sold in retails stores may yield some improvement. However, the most effective way to restore the brilliance of your smile is with the power of professional teeth bleaching.
Dental whitening provides fast results safely, because the gums are covered while prescription strength bleaching gel is applied. A wonderful treatment is made even better by laser technology.
The benefits of laser activated teeth whitening include:
- Beautiful results in a single session
- Laser energy helps whitening gel act faster and more efficiently
- Gentle, comfortable, noninvasive procedure
- Full results are visible immediately
The traditional tool of surgery is the scalpel, which is a precision cutting instrument. However, even with the best tools, cutting is less than ideal, especially for sensitive oral tissue. Oral surgeries such as gum revision tend to cause heavy bleeding, require sutures, and involve painful recovery.
Soft tissue lasers vaporize and instantly cauterize tissue, rather than physically cutting it. Therefore, surrounding tissue is not damaged and the surgical wound is automatically closed. The benefits of laser oral surgery include:
- Virtually bloodless
- Faster, more comfortable recovery
- No stitches, which means no follow-up to have them removed
- Greater precision enables better cosmetic outcomes
- Can be used for gum revision, frenectomy, and other oral surgeries
- Lasers sterilize on contact, reducing the risk of post-surgical infection
Drill less dentistry
What is your least favorite part of dental treatment? Many people would say it is the drill. The sound and smell are irritating, in addition to the discomfort of vibration and pressure. In past generations, there was no good alternative. Damaged and diseased parts of the tooth must be removed before a restoration is placed, or else decay would continue. Once again, laser technology has facilitated a new and better solution.
Hard tissue lasers can effectively etch teeth or bones with exacting precision. Although a drill may be necessary in certain circumstances, most tooth preparation can be performed with only lasers. The benefits include:
- Lasers are quiet
- No uncomfortable pressure or vibration
- Many procedures can be completed comfortably, with no anesthetic needed
- Increased precision means less healthy tooth structure is removed
- Faster, gentler, more efficient technique
Laser dentistry is just one of many technologies and techniques we use to provide the gentlest, most conservative, most comfortable care possible for our patients. If you are ready to experience a new level of dental care, just call us at (855) 381-6001 and schedule an appointment with Dr. Cintron.