Conquering anxiety with gentle dentistry and sedation in Fort Lauderdale. Florida
Anxiety is one of the most common factors that keep people away from the dentist’s office. If you are among them, you will be happy to know that there is a solution, and it’s available right here in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Here at Go Natural Dentistry, we believe that oral care should be pleasant, healthy, and stress-free. That is why we offer a variety of sedation options, laser dentistry, and gentle treatment, delivered in a comfortable, welcoming environment. Our goal is to provide dental care that gives you a reason to smile!
Dental fear – overcoming it begins with understanding it
Millions of Americans struggle with dental fear, ranging from mild anxiety to severe paranoia. There are many potential causes, and sometimes it is a combination of factors. These may include:
- An especially strong gag reflex, which can be triggered by normal dental treatment
- ADHD or other conditions that make it difficult to sit still for an extended period
- Arthritis or other mobility challenges, which can make it hard to sit in a specific position, or open your mouth wide
- Claustrophobia, or a strong dislike of having someone “in your face”
- Sensitive teeth, low pain tolerance, or high tolerance to pain medication
- Unpleasant past experience with a dentist who was careless or inadequately skilled
- Many other factors
Can sedation help you?
Dental sedation is safe for most people. However, as with any medication, there are some risks. Because your safety and wellbeing are always our top priorities, we will thoroughly review and discuss your medical history before recommending sedation.
It is very important that you provide complete information about existing medical conditions, known allergies, and any medication (prescription or over-the-counter) that you are taking. This information allows us to choose the right sedative medication, avoiding potential adverse effects such as allergies and drug interactions.
Once we have determined that you are a suitable candidate for sedation, we will help you choose the best option for you. Inhaled nitrous oxide is an excellent choice for people who only need mild relaxation, and those who don’t want lingering after-effects. It is administered after you arrive at our office, and the effects fade away quickly, making it possible for you to drive yourself to the appointment and back home.
Oral sedation is a bit stronger than nitrous, and it is generally taken in advance, so that the medication is fully active by the time treatment begins. It is an appropriate choice for patients who are nervous leading up to the appointment, as well as those who want stronger relaxation without a needle.
IV sedation is generally the most powerful option, and it is excellent for patients who want maximum relaxation. It is also popular among patients who want greater control over their level of sedation, because dosage can be adjusted during treatment.
Beyond sedation – how gentle care helps ease the anxiety
We understand that dental anxiety is complex, and it is difficult to overcome. While sedation is a great benefit to nervous patients, it takes more than that to truly help you relax. That is why we customize care to each person’s unique needs. We encourage you to tell us what makes you uncomfortable, and how we can help.
Our standard of care includes:
- Laser dentistry – In many cases, we can eliminate or greatly reduce the need for drilling. Lasers do not create the noise, vibration, sound, and discomfort that drills do. In some procedures, lasers do not cause any pain at all, which eliminates the need for numbing shots (a great benefit for needle-phobic patients).
- Gentle treatment – We take great care to avoid unnecessarily invasive treatments, aggressive techniques, or any kind of patient discomfort. Clinical skill, advanced technology, and gentle precision combine to create a remarkably comfortable patient experience.
- Caring and compassion – The single most important factor in helping our patients overcome fear is the fact that we care. We don’t begin treatment until you are comfortable, and if you indicate pain we will stop and address the issue. If you have concerns about a procedure, we will happily answer your questions and explain what to expect.
You don’t have to face dental anxiety alone. We are with you every step of the way. When you choose Go Natural Dentistry, you don’t just have a new dentist, you have a new dental home. Let us help you smile. Call (855) 381-6001 for a consultation.